Lab and Field Explorations in Marine Science
Middle and High School Teacher Workshop 2011
Are you interested in current marine science research? Would you like hands-on marine science activities to incorporate into your classroom? Join this continuing program. Learn about current, relevant marine science research. Consider the future impacts of our changing marine environment. Incorporate meaningful marine science experiences into your core curricula.
Location: Moss Landing Marine Laboratories & field sites
Dates: June 20 - 24, 2011
Who should attend?
Middle and high school science teachers looking for new ways to incorporate current marine research to engage students in learning science. Lab and Field Explorations in Marine Science is actively seeking science teachers in schools with historically underserved student populations. Applicants need not live along the Central Californian Coast. Nearby lodging at a discounted rate will be available to participants. After completion of the workshop, participants will receive a stipend that will more than cover lodging costs.
What are the benefits of participating?
- Immerse yourself in a 5-day course on Monterey Bay
- Learn the latest research on some remarkable marine organisms
- Consider the future impacts of our changing oceans
- Work with local experts in marine research, environmental monitoring, and data analysis
- Experience meaningful outdoor field activities
- Receive inquiry-based lessons aligned with California State and Ocean Literacy standards
- Incorporate comprehensive lecture, lab, computer, and field activities into your core science classes
- Have access to researchers that can visit your classroom and bring cool "stuff" during the school year
- Earn continuing education units
- Earn a stipend
What to bring?
- A sense of adventure
- Field clothes and shoes (for sunny, windy, wet, and/or dirty conditions)
How do I apply?
Before the April 18, 2011 deadline, download the registration form (PDF), complete the form, and mail or fax to:
ATTN: TEP Registration
Moss Landing Marine Labs
8272 Moss Landing Road
Moss Landing, CA 95039
Fax: (831) 632-4403
What if I have questions?
Just contact us.
This program is supported by a Bay Watershed Education Training (B-WET) grant from NOAA.